« Class Discussion | Main | Religion and Politics »

We the Media Ch 6-7

"Readers (or viewers or listeners)collectively know more than media professionals do."
I find this very interesting and at the same time true. As a reader i feel that i know more than what i read in a paper, but at the same time, i dont think that what i am reading online is credible enough to believe.
I think that blogging also "sparks" conversations with the journalists' sources and readers. It tells them stuff they would have never known. (It gives them an inside scoop)

GILLMORE HIT IT RIGHT ON THE NOSE!!! The biggest difference between online and print is the geographical differences. Because of this it causes the 'writers' to be biased. Someone from Russia has totally different beliefs than say Americans or Austrailians. One reason why i like print more.

Some of the best coverage on an event comes from blogging. For example when the Iraqis marched on the streets of Baghdad to protest the bombings. The first coverage was from a blog.

The bottom line is...blogging is taking over the world, and journalism. Well its making it in a way better.

Posted by Denamarie at November 16, 2005 08:15 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference We the Media Ch 6-7:

» Blogging Portfolio 3 from AndrewLoNigro
This semester is finally coming to a close and this will be my final blogging portfolio for EL 227. As tough as it was sometimes, consistenly blogging is a great way to constantly learn. The skill of thinking critically has... [Read More]

Tracked on December 1, 2005 08:17 AM

Denamarie Beri, I agree. Blogging is difficult because of the geographical differences. However, another reason is because they aren't trustworthy.

I mean for example, if you were writing a sports story for class, and you need a source on, say the "Eagles?" And I blogged about the game last night and said how "I think Donavan McNabb must have some personal issues or something because he didn't play well." Would you be able to trust what I said? That's just my opinion. You never know who's writing a blog or how credible they are. Maybe McNabb didn't have any thing wrong at all. Maybe he doesn't play well in the cold. Maybe his contract is about up and he's frustrated. (We know he's just terrible and the Philies won't be back to another superbowl in ten years. lol) Just kidding!

Printed news is so much more reliable since it is checked by an editor and made sure not to be bias. It's much safer and though not always true, it's still true more often than blogs.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at November 17, 2005 11:34 AM