« AP Guide to News Writing CH 12 | Main | Geography Matters... »

January 24, 2006

Foster Readings CH 1-3, 5

Chapter five goes on to explain how the 'connect-the-dot' theory carries on into stories, which is very true. For example, last semester in Drama as Literature, a lot of the stories we read almost always had love, motherhood and family and there was always a flaw. The intertextuality wants me to read more stories and see where the new story ties in with the old.

"The more we become aware of the possibility that our text is speaking to other texts, the more similarities and correspondences we begin to notice, and the more alive the text becomes."

This is very true. That is what I love about literature, you can read a new story, but still have a tie to an old favorite of yours. This is the reason why I love to read; you keep meeting old friends.

Posted by Denamarie at January 24, 2006 10:42 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Foster Readings CH 1-3, 5:

» Blogging Portfolio 1 from AndrewLoNigro
This is a portfolio of my best blogging to date. I am showcasing my ability to think critically about literature and to interact with others about their thoughts.... [Read More]

Tracked on February 21, 2006 06:30 PM

Tracked on February 22, 2006 02:25 PM

I understand what you mean Denamarie, you can read a new story, but still have a tie to an old favorite. In fact, I think that one of the many reasons that reading is so enjoyable is the fact that we really do relate what we have experienced before to what we're reading now. Like Foster said, it's the "aha! factor." We get excited when we can make a connection.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at January 24, 2006 03:56 PM

There were several areas of confluence in the plays we looked at last term. You guys found more areas than I initially thought were there, which is a sign that we were all doing something right!

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at January 24, 2006 05:50 PM

I like how Andy brought up the "aha factor". I definitely can remember times when I've read something and I can relate it to myself (past experiences) or to another story I've read. It's kind of interesting at how amazed we are of the little things in life. That is also another reason why I love to read as well Dena.

Posted by: Danielle Meyer at January 24, 2006 09:57 PM