« Foster Readings CH 1-3, 5 | Main | Deal with the fact your BORING »

January 26, 2006

Geography Matters...

Foster CH 19

"Literary geograpy is typically about humans inhabiting spaces, and at the same time the spaces that inhabit humans."

Foster basically told the reader why geography is important in one line, and to me this line in very informative and powerful. I really enjoyed reading this chapter because I got a sense of the reasonings for adding certain types of geography and weather. I noticed that geography can help build the character to grow stronger, but in a way the character also has to struggle with all the different climates.
When Oedipus was on this journey to the city, he went through woods and old roads, which shows confusion and determination to get out and start anew. Now that i read this chapter, it will help me see into the piece of literature using the geography.

Posted by Denamarie at January 26, 2006 08:41 AM

You're right Denamarie!

I do think that Foster give us a sense of what a scene can definetely do to a story. Bright and sunny days aren't enough any more. In order to get a full experience, writers need to describe the surroundings as if the were describing the back of their hands.

Posted by: KevinHinton at January 26, 2006 04:10 PM

That's a really good point Dena. I also found this chapter interesting. I also made a connection between both chapters in which geography and the seasons/weather can affect the way a reader views an author's character.

The other part I thought was interesting was what Foster said about what happens to characters when the travel south.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at January 26, 2006 04:52 PM

It seems true and in my blog, I emphasized alot about characters running amok in the south because in almost every book I've read about a person who goes to Italy, they end up falling in love, etc.

Posted by: Erin at January 26, 2006 08:26 PM

Excellent point about Oedipus, Dena! If he had gone on a straight, smooth road I think the reader would get a completely different viewpoint on the rest of the story.

Posted by: AmandaNichols at January 26, 2006 10:17 PM

Look at this -- you posted early, and look at how much traffic you got. Good job, Denamarie.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at January 26, 2006 11:05 PM