« Academic Article | Main | Blog Portfolio 1- - -EL150 »

Antony and Cleopatra Act 1 Scene 3

Antony and Cleopatra (Acts I & II) -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I have never read this story but so far I really enjoy reading it. To me it is very suspenseful and I think that is why I enjoy it so much. I also have to read this for STW.

This is one of the best lines I have read so far. It really makes me feel the love and emotion. I love how Shakespeare showed this scene.
CLEOPATRA:
Nay, pray you seek no color for you going, but bid farewell and go. When you sued staying, then was the time for words: no going then, eternity was in our lips and eyes, bliss in our brows' bent; none our parts so poor but was a race of heaven. They are so still, or thou, the greatest soldier of the world, art turned the greatest liar.

Is it possible that they were having an affair while Antony was married. It seems that the description of "eternity was in our lips and eyes, bliss in our brows' bent; none our parts so poor but was a race of heaven" that they were having an affair and were in love. Now that his queen is dead he can now go to Cleopatra and take her as his queen.

As I read more I noticed that she responded back to Antony after he said in happiness that his wife was dead, "O most false love!" Does this mean its not true, I dont know?

This story is well described in a way that they dont tell us how they feel, but the characters words let us into the emotions. "Cut my lace, Charmian, come-but let it be, i am quickly ill, and well so Antony loves." The phrase cut my lace is described as the fastenings that hold the clothing close to her heart and lungs.
So Well described.

I can't wait to see whether he continues with his military duties are with his Egyptian beauty.

Posted by Denamarie at February 20, 2006 03:45 PM

Good call, Denamarie. Note that Shakespeare's characters don't simply walking around listing the emotions they're feeling. Shakespeare's theater didn't permit a realistic acting style, where actors can make their lips quivver or subtly roll their eyes. Most of the audience simply woudn't have been able to see a subtle detail like that, so Shakespeare pours it all into the dialogue.

It will be intersting to see how the SHU actors perform the "most false love" line. Can you do me a favor and watch for it?

Bravo to your STW teacher for assiging this play. Is it part of one of the standard content units? Maybe gender or perhaps globalism?

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at February 20, 2006 04:40 PM