« Deal with the fact your BORING | Main | Keep on hiking »

It's More that just Rain or Snow

Foster Ch 10 and 12

"One of the paradoxes of rain is how clean it is coming down and how much mud it can make when it lands."

How true is this?
Have you ever had that one guy or girl that comes to your school and seems very nice and wholesome, you become friends with him or her, then they talk about you behind your back or hurt you in some way? That is what I pictured when i read this.
You can have the character do so much with rain. Cleanse them, stain them, or do both and have them break through all the rain and end up to a rainbow. WOW!
Foster's way of describing the different meanings behind all the weather really intreprets a lot of stories in a new way.
In The Notebook, when they are kissing in the rain, they are cleansing their souls and finally are coming clean that they are in love with one another.
That is pretty deep, I would have never of thought of that before until i read this chapter.

This book is really great Professor Jerz, I'm glad you picked this book for our class.

Posted by Denamarie at February 1, 2006 11:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Denamarie! I got similiar positive reactions last year when I first used it for this class, so I hope it stays in print a long time.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at February 1, 2006 12:16 PM

Great Point Dena, I really understand what you're saying. The rain really acts as a new start for some people. What really interests me about this topic is that it all depends on the author's choice. Rain can be used to show deep dark evil, or to show romantic scenes in which there is life and redemption. I like this book as well and really appreciate Foster's points of view.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at February 2, 2006 12:12 AM

Very good entry, Dena. I would have never thought about the Notebook, but it's so obvious. It's interesting how weather and season can control so much of our temperament and it's different to each person. This book breaks it all down and uses humor, I'm on the bandwagon. I love it.

Posted by: Erin at February 3, 2006 09:32 AM