« It's More that just Rain or Snow | Main | What have we done? »

Keep on hiking

To Build a Fire

"For the moment the cold of space was outwitted."

Excellent line. How could the cold of space be outwitted? FIRE.
Fire was the main symbol of the story, let alone the adventure the man took to go up the mountain in his stubbornness. To start a fire, you have to have the necessary materials and the brains of which branches to start with, etc.. After all the logs/branches are in place, all it takes is a match. To the man in the fire, the mountain were his branches and logs and he was the match. He had all the necessary materials to make a fire, but he knew it was not the right moment until he got to his destination. Even though he stopped a couple of times to make one, it was never quite right.

You only live once, live it out to the fullest, is what the author was getting to.

Posted by Denamarie at February 2, 2006 03:44 PM

Yes Dena I agree,
I think that the fire was the main symbol of the story. The fire in a sense is his life. With fire, he survives, without it, he perishes. Good connection!

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at February 2, 2006 03:57 PM

I agree the man was definitely cocky. Who in their right mind would go out into the artic ALONE during their first ever winter hike?

Posted by: AmandaNichols at February 2, 2006 03:59 PM

Who? Only a "chechaquo".

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at February 2, 2006 06:03 PM

I do think that the fire is the main element of the story. Hey, it may be a CHARACTER in the story. The man ability to make the fire was his ability to united with his mortality which would have ran short if he didn't. Nice interpretation, Dena!
P.S. I wouldn't read it in my spare time either.

Posted by: Kevin Hinton at February 2, 2006 09:40 PM