« What have we done? | Main | Eliot »

Poetry

Poetry Selections -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

There is no right or wrong way to write poetry, it is whatever comes to you and however you feel. Even if it doesn't make sense, like a math equation, you can take it away from it what you want.

SPRING AND FALL:

"Ah as the heart grows older
It will come to such sights colder"

Life may begin very simple and easy, but as you grow older, it becomes more complex and tough. You have to roll with the punches/seasons. You will learn that life is not fair and always birght and full of sunshine. You will begin "nor spare a sigh" because you will be hit with bad news and situations that you will become immune to it all.

BECAUSE I COULD NOT STOP FOR DEATH:
"We passed the School, where children strove,
At recess-in the ring"

In the ring...does that mean that children are always in a fight/competition with one another and strive to be the smartest and most popular one.
"We passed the setting sun"
The sun goes up and down just like people's emotions. Your time will run out, like the daylight. Whether you are ready for it or not, you will be done. Experience your life to the fullest don't let death coming knocking at your door and have you feel that you didnt accomplish all you wanted. This is what i got out of this poem.

These two poems made more sense to me then the last one. I couldnt even start to think about what i got out of it.

Posted by Denamarie at February 8, 2006 12:04 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Poetry:

» Blogging Portfolio 1 from AndrewLoNigro
This is a portfolio of my best blogging to date. I am showcasing my ability to think critically about literature and to interact with others about their thoughts.... [Read More]

Tracked on February 21, 2006 06:30 PM

Tracked on February 22, 2006 02:25 PM

Dena, I agree with your interpretation of Dickinson's poem. When she says, "We passed the setting sun Or rather he passes us," it helps me realize exactly what you said. Time will run out on us and we have no control over that. So we've got to take the most out of each day while we have the chance.

Posted by: Andy Lonigro at February 8, 2006 02:25 PM

Dena,
I do not agree that "the ring" symbolizes the children fighting to be the best. I thought of this just as a memory that the person had as he looked back at his life and realized the fun and laughter he had in his past.

Posted by: ElyseBranam at February 9, 2006 01:36 PM