« Nature Poems | Main | Raven »

Shakespeare's sonnet

Sonnets -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

LOVE: "It is the star to every wand'ring bark"

In line 8, it defines it as that a man cannot grasp the star's heavenly worth and astrological infuence.
A man doesnt know what a woman really is worth. They dont think about emotions and long term effects, they think about now and short term effects. "Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks," love is not made over months, years. You can not make someone fall in love with you so quickly. Like William said, "Love's not Time's fool". I think that Shakespeare really nailed this poem to describe what love is.

Sorry guys if i was a little harsh.

Posted by Denamarie at February 12, 2006 08:47 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Shakespeare's sonnet:

» Blogging Portfolio 1 from AndrewLoNigro
This is a portfolio of my best blogging to date. I am showcasing my ability to think critically about literature and to interact with others about their thoughts.... [Read More]

Tracked on February 21, 2006 06:30 PM

Tracked on February 22, 2006 02:25 PM

Dena, You hit the nail on the head. I totally agree with you. I think that love is shakespeare's best focus. He does a great job ay expressing love in many ways. Love takes time and patience and it is all described in this work. Good Blog!!

Posted by: Sarah Lodzsun at February 15, 2006 11:44 AM

Dena,
I disagree totally. I don't see your point about men not thinking about emotions and long term effects. Where did you get the gender issue from in line 8? It doesn't say anything about a man not grasping the star's heavenly worth.

What I think this sonnet is talking about is people having to lose their pride for love (especially women). Since you started this gender discussion, I actually think that Shakespeare's message applies more to women. I know that men are proud and hate to lose their dignity, but women are constantly looking for their husband (or boyfriend) to give them compliments and give them gifts to show that they love them. In many cases women want the men to cater to them and go to their level. I think Shakespeare is trying to say that you should be able to trust that your mate loves you. Love is trusting.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at February 15, 2006 02:50 PM

You're right. I think my ex had this problem of trying to rush into things too much and I think that's what ruined us. True feelings don't bend or change.

Posted by: Erin at February 15, 2006 07:11 PM

"Love is not love"
If there is a problem about couple rushing this could be the reason. Too many people look for lust...not love. Erin is right when she says that "true feelings don't bend or change" but what if it's the feeling of lust? That can be closely tied to love but how would anybody but able to tell the difference? So, I think that lust and love need to be distinguished instead of thinking that love is being abused.

Posted by: Kevin "Kelo the Great" Hinton at February 15, 2006 09:45 PM

Kevin,
That's a great point. I agree with all of you that too many people rush into love. I also feel that too many people mistake love for friendship. I think true love can only be told if a relationship has lasted through some hard times and survived.

Posted by: Andy Lonigro at February 16, 2006 09:22 AM