« Bowers | Main | Truss and the Tractable Apostrophe »

March 12, 2006

Meaning of having HEART

Article: Hall -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

Because there are two different meanings of heart for the Romans and the Egyptians, this allows us to understand why one character might act a certain way. After reading this article by hall, I come to the conclusion, of course with help from Hall, that Romans believe heart means strength and courage while the Egyptians see it as love to others and having affection to another.
Now knowing what they think of heart, this helps you understand why Cleopatra acted the way she did with men, it is the way of the Egyptians to be loving and affectionate, even if it gains one power. I see this as an excuse for her to act this way to Antony, but I can understand it now.
I also can see more how Antony was so confused when he was asked where his heart is, is it for strength and power or for love.
This article defined very well the differences the East and West had especially when it comes to having 'heart'.

Posted by Denamarie at March 12, 2006 07:38 PM

Dena after reading your blog, I find it very clear to me how the two differences of heart affect Cleopatra especially in her decisions about who she loves and who she seduces.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at March 12, 2006 10:02 PM