« Truss and the Tractable Apostrophe | Main | Semicolons are an art form »

March 14, 2006

Where shall I put the ,

Truss, Eats, Shoots & Leaves 2 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

"...the comma has so many jobs as a "seperator" (punctuation marks are traditionally either "seperators" or "terminators")"
I never thought of punctuation this way. I never thought to think that they are seperators in the way they seperate/end a thought.

"Commas, if you don't whistle at them to calm down, are unstoppably enthusiastic at this job." The sheepdog of punctuation. (LOL I thought this was so funny.)
How very true this is. I tend to write a paper and throw commas in weird places. I put them there because when I speak in my head while I write, it seems to be a pause or a need for a pause so I add it. But after reading through it, I notice that most of them are unnecessary.

I must say that I think the way she organises her chapters with different parts of the chapters really helps you understand her point.
I think that commas are the hardest punctuation mark to determine where to put it. The way Truss gave examples and reasons as to why it was wrong and what it meant the wrong way then to say what it really is supposed to mean the right way, really helped me understand the comma.

This chapter was good for me because I tend to over use the comma and sometimes I don't always find my mistakes.

Posted by Denamarie at March 14, 2006 11:53 AM

I agree, and had always found commas running away at my fingertips. But, i must say if not for commas, then a sudden stop in a sentence would just probably shutter a reader in silence, and make him retrack his/her steps while reading. Also honestly i never was good with punctuation either. In fact, trying to fit in this many commas to prove a point is just frustrating. I came across a reply u wrote on blogs aswell dena and could'nt help but remember you. So i had to post something on your thoughts.

Posted by: matt from morrisville at March 15, 2006 05:09 PM

I completely agree with you. Half of the time I have no clue if a comma should go there or here. I also blogged about the comma having so many jobs. It just blows my mind to think that a sentence can completely be ruined because there was or wasn't a comma there.

Posted by: Brittney Aller at March 19, 2006 07:59 PM

I agree commas are overrated but periods get the jod done!!!! matt saty out of this

Posted by: robert beri at March 19, 2006 10:35 PM