« Marked for Greatness | Main | Chapters 4 and 5 »

April 06, 2006

Resurrection Blues 1

Miller, Resurrection Blues 1 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

Characters seem to be caught in a dilemma, well at least the General. He is confused whether to choose self-interest or doing the right thing. Should he agree with the New York ad and give them rights and receive a lot of money, $75 million, and make a profit or use it to help the national economy. The General to me seems very greedy, but then again I think that a lot that is happening is mainly because of greed and not just in the money aspect. I think that everyone is thinking about their selves more than they really should be. I mean, they are hanging this rebel just because he had different views and opinions. If we did that here in America, there would be no one. The head of state, General Felix Barriaux, has decided to crucify one of the local rebels, believed by the natives to be the son of God. The General is afraid of losing his grip in the face of an age-old revolutionary struggle, so by taking this offer he will be loved by all for saving their nation. Henri Schultz is the probably the one of the more normal characters in the fact that he is a philosopher who believes that the Messiah does not exist but that each person needs to believe in for their own ends. Henri tells Felix not to accept the offer, but it doesn’t help.

Greed = selfishness ---- basis of the story
What do you guys think?

Posted by Denamarie at April 6, 2006 02:49 PM

And yet so far in the play, this Messiah hasn't really shown that he is a "threat" to the state. All we know is what Felix tells us about his men blowing up a building. Yet someone else claims that the Messiah had nothing to do with it... it's his word against the government's and no one knows for sure (not even the audience).

Posted by: Mike Rubino at April 6, 2006 10:50 PM

I don't believe that the general is going use the 75 million dollars on helping his country out. For some reasons I do not believe that he really cares about the problems that his country is in. For instance when Henri was trying to tell Felix about the dead babies lying on the ground.. he didn't care... or when Henri told him that the blood fluke was in the water supply.. he still didn't care and replied what can I do about it... I really do that that Felix is greedy and only cares about the upperclass people.

Posted by: brittney aller at April 7, 2006 09:07 AM