« Resurrection Blues 2 | Main | Critical Essay »

April 25, 2006

Resurrection Blues 3

Resurrection Blues 3 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I wasnt expecting the book to end this way, but i enjoyed it.

The way Felix expresses his love for Emily on page 85 is so descriptive and loving. Miller is great with detail and showing emotion through the detail.
"You have exploded in my mind like a grenade! I have never had such a feeling...it is like all my windows have blown out and a fresh breeze is passing through me...I must not let you go, Emily--what can i give you! Anything! Tell me!"
This quote also explains his sudden change in his whole perception and ideas abou the crucifixion. It is said to see that a General of a Latin American country can suddenly change everything he ever thought because of his strong feelings for Emily. Talk about a strong leader. (Example: Clinton)

I think that Jeanine is very intelligent. When she speaks about 'Charley' and his decisions she says, "Whats wrong is that it changes him into one more shitty politician! Whatever he does he'll do because it's right, not to get peoples approval!" This applies to Felix as well. It also relates very well to our government. They are hypocritical, like Felix, and will say something because it gets peoples approvals, but as soon as they ge the power, they dont back up their word. (Felix)

It seems that 'Charley' just wants peace and justice. Isn't that what we all want? He thinks that if he doesnt get crucified he is letting his people down, but then again, this crucifixion will end all ideas and thoughts of peace and the end of a war. So there are good and bad reasons about the crucifixion.

Do you think he should have stayed up there or get crucified?

Posted by Denamarie at April 25, 2006 11:32 AM

Good question, Dena.

In a democracy, government is all about compromise -- and compromosie is one thing that idealists can't stand. Felix is an idealistic leader who doesn't need to win votes, but he does need to address the possibility of a revolution. So he's an absolutist too, which is naturally whe he's troubled and drawn to the power this strange rabble-rouser stirs up in the people.

Can you vote your god out of office if you don't like the way his policies work out?

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at April 25, 2006 11:58 AM

While my political leanings may influence my critical reading from time to time, I couldn't help but also get a Clintonian reference out of Miller. Not in the line you are talking about (because lots of presidents have fallen for promiscuous women... Kennedy) but in his reference to changing one's mind to please the opinions of the masses. Clinton was known for changing policy based on what the polls said about, instead of what he really believed was right...

That said, Miller holds a disdain for politicians in general. When I saw him speak, he read entirely from his book "Politics and the Art of Acting", which compares today's politicians with actors. He comes off as very idealistic, missing the days of the genuine politician.

Posted by: Mike at May 1, 2006 12:56 AM