Main | Bedford Glossary of Critical and Literary Terms »

January 27, 2007

General Introduction

"...forms of criticism that orient toward "reality" or "life as experienced outside of art" are at once the most venerable and the most popular. Because they are chiefly concerned with measuring the accuracy or "truth" of the characters and actions presented in literature, these approaches are traditionally labeled "mimetic"."

After reading the entire general introduction, I skimmed over it again and found myself reading this line over again. This line seems to describe my whole life of reading literature. I need to know the truth about the story as well as how it relates to the real world or. The mimetic criticism assumes literary works to be reflections or representations of life and the world in general. I think that everyone likes to read stories that they can relate to and see how they dealt with the problem at hand.
The story must be true and portray the subject matter to an art form. I enjoyed this quote because of the truth and reality that is a part of the mimetic criticism. I like to over analyze everything in stories and make sure it is based upon something reliable and relatable to life. If a story is parallel to the real world, I am more interested when reading it then I would if I read something that is false about life and the world.

Posted by Denamarie at January 27, 2007 1:36 PM

While I agree with you that I need to find the truth in a story for me to be compelled to read it I don't think that one neccessarily needs to read something that is parrallel to the real world in order to find that truth. Oftentimes people that read science fiction or fantasy novels are reading about a world that is so completely different from the one that we live in it may take a while to discover the truth of that world.

However, I think that is what makes fantasy novels so intriguing to me. I also like to discover the truth that that world is based around. Sometimes the truths of our world become so binding that I can't breathe thus my escape into the world of fantasy.

I also agree that authors need to portray their subject matter artfully. Stories that have no art to them are usually very bland and hard for a reader to follow or even care about.

Great observations!

Posted by: Tiffany at January 31, 2007 7:30 PM

I am the same way, Dena. Especially ever since EL250 with Dr. Jerz drilling into our heads about finding how a work is a "representation of reality" that is always the first thing I think about. If there is nothing else I can think of I try to see how something from a story I can relate to things that have happened in my own experiences. I also over analyze EVERYTHING! (I believe Dr, Jerz mentioned on Val's blog entry about it coming with the line of work...I am pretty sure that is the way we will all be feeling if we don't already.) With all that close reading I hear myself thinking "now why did he use THAT word?" even when I am just listening to someone speaking.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at January 31, 2007 10:24 PM