Brooks & Irony 101

"The tail of the kite, it is true, seems to negate the kite's function: it weights down something made to rise; and in the same way, the concrete particulars with which the poet loads himself seem to deny the universal to which he aspires...Through his metaphors, he risks saying it partially and obscurely, and risks not saying it at allx. But the risk must be taken, for direct statement leads to abstraction and threatens to take us out of poetry altogether" (85).

Brooks, you are killing me.
The tail makes the kite fly, just like the metaphors and irony make the writing poetry.
I guess that Brooks was saying that metaphors in poems almost allows for the reader to miss the main idea in a piece of writing?
Brooks thinks that instead of using metaphors to write directly what you want said because this leads the reader to abstraction, general ideas or themes.

I understand that Brooks is arguing that irony can be found in most works but we tend to overlook it because we are looking for a deeper meaning. I just don't see how this ties into his argument. I guess I am just overlooking it and looking for a deeper meaning.

Is it ironic that we can't figure out the meaning of an essay that tries to relate irony to the meaning of poetry?

No, it's not ironic, it's annoying.

It looks to me that Brooks is all for metaphors. Use them, he says, love them. CONFUSE YOUR READER TO THEIR DEATH!!!!!

Maybe he just means that by adding metaphors, the poet is just asking for someone to read too much into what he/she is saying. And maybe that's what he/she wants to happen--to see what other people get out of the work?

Denamarie said:

Val, I agree.
I like metaphors, but sometimes they are just too confusing to look into because there could be multiple meanings for the metaphor that could possibly help find the overall meaning of the work.