What exactly do you want out of me?

"For in the imagery and characters of great works, in the green gardens and wintery wastelands, in the questing heroes and menacing villains, and in the archetypal patterns of their actions that form analogies to rites of spring and rites of passage, to cycles of death adn rebirth, we recognize, usually at some subconscious level, the images and actions that haunt our dreams and that form substance of our psychic lives."

We are all affected by literature whether it makes us happy, sad, or even depressed. It has been noted that authors can persuade the reader to have a certain response to the work by using specific types of words, phrases, diction, syntax and other literary elements and uses of language.

When I read the above quote, I realized that when I read a detailed scene or emotion, that I become that same exact emotion presented by the author. Whether the intention is consciously or unconsciously, we can be persuaded by the authors writing style.
At the end of the paragraph on page 131, Keesey ends the sentence with "underlying patterns of archetypal symbolism, which I used for my vocabulary word of the week.
It is a universal feeling that the author uses to persuade, again unconsciously or consciously, to get a certain response out of the reader.

Interesting, or am I just really out of it right now??

Dave Moio said:

I must be abnormal because literature has never, ever made me feel depressed.

I appreciate the fact that lit elicits emotion from you. I wonder if my inability to accept so much of what we have read comes from my own emotional responses. I think I am learning to detatch that emotion from my viewpoint.