envy

Not to be harsh or anything of the sort, but I was not a huge fan of this movie. I felt that the plot just crawled along. It was very slow and not interesting at all. The overall idea was great, I just wish the actors were better and the plot was a little more fast paced. An obvious point to talk about is the overall emphasis and recurrence of eyes.
In Blade Runner, the stress of the eyes shows the replicantís envy of human life and freedom. Their emotions are shown through their eyes that occasionally change color from time to time. The replicantís explain to humans that there is nothing worse than having an itch you can never scratch. They have no sense of feeling and only have memories to fall back on due to implants that were surgically put into their brains from other humans. They only live by memory, but have no logic of feeling and emotion.
The close examination of the eyes throughout the film allows for this strong visual to serve and create a dehumanized earth where specific human elements, eyes, are used to stand out and make a point of envy. The involuntary recurrence of the eyes is used to create an uncanny feeling of helplessness and fear for the audience. The uncanny feeling felt throughout the film is mainly contributed from the overall theme of the film where a machine, a replicant, tries to kill all humankind and take over the world. The use of the eyes is a factor that gives a stronger feeling of mystery and fear.

Freud mentioned that we are afraid of things that are not necessarily new. The "Evil Eye" is far from new, and has been around for ages. Blade Runner takes that ancient fear and makes it part of a mundane routine in a certain way. The eyes in Blade Runner detremined if you were human or not.Yet WE saw it as a huge symbol (and it should be taken that way), it wasn't that horrible to them. Business as usual.

Dave Moio said:

Your last couple of sentences got me to thinking, a dangerous thing for us all, about Roy Batty's motivation for seeking out Tyrell. I'm not so sure he wanted control of mankind - instead, I think he would have just preferred a few more years of life. His ultimate goal may have been larger, but his immediate goal seemed to be the preservation of his own existence.

That stated, I liked your ideas about the significance of eyes in the film.

I agree with dave, I don't think he wanted to control the world. I think he just wanted to live. i really think that if these replicants were not so close to dying they might have just stayed away. There is a part in the front of the film when Harrison Ford is brought to the commander, he asks him why did they come back, and you never get a real answer, but he tells him about their(the replicants) 4 year life span. So I really think they(the replicants) were just trying to live longer, not so much take over-which could be the fear of the humans making it seem that they were trying to do so.

Denamarie said:

I don't think that he wanted to take over the world, but I do think that was a motif that was hidden throughout the movie.
The idea of them living longer is strange to me then.
Is there another reason why they want to live longer?