Yeah, what he said

Okay, WOW!

As Dave mentioned in his blog, the meaning of words, signs or concepts can change based upon the interpretations of the very structures they exist in, anyone with a different perspective can create a contradiction.
That is basically a little summary of what I also got out of this particular essay.

Derrida began to talk a little about freeplay throughout the essay.
At one point it is said that freeplay "which is limited to the substitution of given and existing, present, pieces" (362). So freeplay is the ability to interpret works in many ways?

The author also talks about origin of the words and creating our own freeplay. Both of these are associated with one another because through the origins and conventions of the words throughout a text we are able to 'freeplay' and apply our own interpretations. The structure they exist in though allow for our perception to differ from one another.

(I was a little confused on this essay, so I hope my blog wasnt the same way. I was trying to learn more from it from blogging =])

Erin said:

You always sum things up for me just right, Denamarie. I was really confused by the freeplay talk at first. I like that you said it means we can interpret in different ways because that's what we're really learning about in this class.

Karissa said:

To me, Denamarie, having the ability to interpret many works in many ways is the whole reason we're taking this class. Freeplay, in that respect, while I'm really not sure what Derrida meant inherently (expecially since there were notes about him changing the meanings of things he says :-/ not good academic conduct in my opinion), probably is encouragement to think outside of the structure of things to see what other possibilities there are for not only interpreting a text but writing a text. Just a thought :)

Pedro said:

Hi Denamarie!

I'm a Philosophy student at University of Salamanca (Spain). I'm working now on a presentation on Derrida, and as I've seen that you work on an essay about him as well last term, I was wondering whether we could maybe get in touch and talk about Derrida.

So if you find the proposal attractive, my email id is: shiard[at]hotmail[dot]com

Also, I have checked out on the net Setonhill and, in a certain way, it looks to me
quite similar to my high school: the Mahindra United World College of India (www.uwc.org)

Along these lines, I'm also really into Literature, so I feel we might easily get on well.

Looking forward to your answer, and being pleased to meet you,

Pedro.