Welcome to the O.I.A.

"Hit-and-run information retrieval is what most of us do when we surf the Web. We visit a site, see if anything looks interesting, click around, get our jolt (or fail to get it), and go on to another site."

When do you think we do this type of information retrieval? When we browse Facebook and see an advertisement or article on the side that we want to read more about?

I know that I do this every day especially when I'm logging into my Yahoo! e-mail account and I see an article headline that catches my attention. I read it, then become bored with it and leave it and continue on with what I previously was doing. This chunking retrieval is usually articles that have material broken up into segments of not more than 100 words visible on the monitor. I find myself doing this chunking whenever I am procrastinating from doing homework.

"Sometimes readers surf online for very detailed information...readers who want to scrutinize them can download them to their hard drives and then print them out in whatever format they prefer."

This type of retrieval I do whenever I'm researching for a paper, project or presentation. A lot of these scrolling documents needed to be downloaded as a PDF where I then will read through part of the document that I need for my work. I never read these types of files or articles on my computer; they are too long to read on the screen and it involves a lot of scrolling that becomes annoying after a while.

----------------------------------------------

Whenever I come to a new site, I've always noticed that the homepage of the site gives me background information and the formating of the site, a paragraphy normally explaining the intention of the site and what the site hopes the readers gets out of it. Sometimes the background information is too detailed which then takes away from the rest of the site. 

------------------------------------------------

These past two chapters have been very helpful with great ideas and information for how to write and what exactly to do with the format of our writing when putting it on the internet.

Maddie Gillespie said:

You are completely right about the distinction between how people search/gather information on the internet. I do the same thing as you, the exception being that I'm reading an online story that's fairly long. That's the only time I'll put up with scrolling and killing my eyes by looking at a computer screen for so long. It's just like the quote you used above: People want things short and sweet complete with all the lurid details.

Jed Fetterman said:

I do not think I have ever read an entire article over a thousand words on the internet. Even if there is research involved, I will probably look through the first two pages worth of the document, find a quote that supports my paper, and trash the rest. I really do not have the patience to read on the computer, while I can read long books by Ayn Rand and Dostoevsky without much trouble. I think I was born in the wrong time period.