From: Denamarie To: Kilian

Writing for the Web 3.0: My Opinion

Our main text throughout this part of our internet education has been Writing for the Web 3.0 by Crawford Kilian. This book was a good read. Even though some subjects were a review, other sections were helpful. Kilian’s book reminded me of first semester, freshman year in Dr. Jerz’s News Writing class with the style guides, the overview of active and passive verbs, the eliminating of excess words, etc.

Writing for the Web 3.0 was easy to read with Kilian’s professionally yet friendly writing style. This is the first time I’m actually writing for the internet; well, if you count my blog then I have been doing it since 2005. So, you can classify me as a newbie. With the help of this book, the repetition, the easy tips, and the exercises not only brought me to a starter level, it helped me understand the significance of publishing certain material on the web. There are too many books that explain rules and ignore exercises to help the readers practice what you preached. people explain the rules of grammar without giving you practice exercising those rules. I thought there were decent amounts, yet, I would like to see more used in a technology format, considering, we are writing for the web. Kilian is publishing a newer version of this book; I know this because he has been in contact with Dr. Jerz. I have some suggestions that might help him. The main idea about his book was the overall simplicity of the text. He put the technological lingo into lists and tips that were easy for us “newbies” to understand. Another think I enjoyed was the repetition within the book. He would refer to an idea he wrote three chapters back.

For the most part, I really can’t think of anything that I would change. I know grammar rules, punctuation and other writing ideas were expressed and I thought were basic, but for a new reader, like freshmen in college, who hardly knows any of these grammatical and punctuation rules, they will be helpful. I think this was an effective book. The explanations were thorough and in depth and the language was professional yet informal, a great way to grab the reader’s attention.

----------------------------------------------

Blogs on Kilian's book:

Can I Persuade You?
A Little Bit of Everything
No More Than 2
A Gladitorial Fight with Rubber Crutches
When in doubt, just ask Kilian.... or Andy Lonigro
Follow the Pattern