Wikipedia Articles

I, of course, looked at the article about softball being that I am a softball player here at SHU. Go Griffins!

SOFTBALL ARTICLE

Caution: You are not currently logged in. Editing this way will cause your IP address to be recorded publicly in this page's edit history. If you create an account, you can conceal your IP address and be provided with many other benefits. Messages sent to your IP can be viewed on your talk page.

What is better? Creating an account or editing without an account and have then record my IP address?

The page informed me that the page is 54 kilobytes long. Scrolling a little further down, I see a large text box that includes source codes, text and CSS codes that we were introduced to earlier in the semester.

I clicked on the discussion tab and was shown that "Softball was a good article nominee, but did not meet the good article criteria at the time. There are suggestions below for improving the article. Once these are addressed, the article can be renominated. Editors may also seek a reassessment of the decision if they believe there was a mistake."

In the good article criteria, it explains that it must be well-written, factually accurate and verifiable, broad, neutral, stable, and illustrated. (A softball is not white but lime-green.) So this article is satisfactory.

The history tab showed me the most recent edits to this particular article. The last one was October 29, 2008 at 6:58. This page describes the edit the user did to the article at the time. Quite interesting.

When comparing the Wikipedia entries for SHU and SVC, I noticed that SVC had more information than SHU. SVC included history and traditions while SHU had the basic information. Both entries were richly-linked to information that a person wouldn't know if they didn't attend the institution. Seton Hill's article talks a little about the athletic programs while Saint Vincent has no reference to their athletics at all. Saint Vincent's entry also includes tuition costs, number of undergraduates and graduates, and faculty. Seton Hill's entry doesn't include any of that information.

Both entries were last edited in 2007.With this information, it is understandable why SHU's entry lacks some needed information.

Daniella Choynowski said:

wow, I found the exact opposite to be true of the two schools' articles. SVC had very short paragraphs that didn't really tell the viewer anything substantial, other than a bit of school history, traditions, and a list of alumni.

Our site is much more informative. I see that in the past day, a user has added a list of our undergraduate programs (probably someone from this class). SHU's site has substance, and that is what makes it a better encyclopedia article

Anne Williams said:

I was wondering this too? I was hesitant to make changes without making an IP address because I didn't want to get in any kind of trouble or something.. But I did create a login name if thats the same thing and felt a little bit more protected but after reading that Orlowski article, it made me kind of nervous to make any changes on Wikipedia. Even though mine were not detrimental, I still felt uncomfortable doing it. As far as SVC and SHU, I found both of them to be lacking in some things but like Dani commented, I thought SHU had a lot more information. However, I didn't notice that SVC did not have any mention of sports. Thats weird.