In your Opinion!

Foster (Ch 12 and Interlude [p. 183]) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"When someone asks about meaning, I usually come back with something clever, like
"Well, what do you think?"

I really liked this quote because it tells the reader the everyone can interpret a different meaning of a symbol. As stated in the reading after this quote, symbols mean more than one thing. I think that it is important that everyone develop their own idea about a particular symbol in a poem or story. Foster seems to be saying that everyone should be creative when expressing what they think about a symbol because usually your right or have a good meaning of it.

I agree with you that everyone should express what they feel about a symbol. I used to be taught a lot about the textbook symbols within a story and were not allowed to stray from those ideas. It is so nice to read that symbols have many different meanings that are accepted. Everyone interprets a story or poem in their own way, so it is only natural that they will have different symbols and meanings.

I also like how this quotes says that anyone can interpret a different meaning for a symbol. We all come from different backgrounds and experiences, so how we veiw something will also be different.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on January 29, 2007 10:21 PM.

A Walk in Time!? was the previous entry in this blog.

Reflection: Symbolism within time is the next entry in this blog.