An allusion in “Everyman”!?

Anonymous, ''Everyman'' -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

Reflection paper for Everyman and Literary Terms (68-97)

This play is very important to read with these literary terms because it lets us connect the terms to the reading. After reading this play, I understood what an allusion was. It tells of a passing reference to a work of literature or historical event. It is very interesting, how before reading Maggie’s blog entry that I was able to connect with the same thoughts. This is because I noticed that this play is referring to God and how he took his life for ours. It was a very meaningful play because of the diction that was used throughout. It seemed very formal, yet also abstract because of the wording and how it makes you think. Religion is a major factor when reading poetry and literature. It was important to me that you could reference these words with imagery while reading. This was meaningful because I could relate the words throughout with a movie (The Passion of Christ) or different church plays.

I think this play had more meaning for me because of the theology class I'm taking (Images of Jesus in Film). This class has me read a lot of biblical texts and watch several biblical movies, so as I read this I could pick out most of the Biblical allusions. I think that this story would have been a lot hard for me if I hadn't taken my theology and lit classes in the same semester. Sometimes with these Christian allegories you just have to have some background in the faith, or it doesn't make sense.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on February 13, 2007 5:46 PM.

Images from the Bible was the previous entry in this blog.

More Religion... is the next entry in this blog.