Imagery means more than a visual picture!?

Hamilton, Essential Literary Terms (68-97) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"The broad meaning of imagery, however, includes all of the references to sensory perception that a work contains or evokes, not only in the form of the objects, actions, and scenes depicted in literal descriptions, but also in allusions and in the vehicles of metaphors and similes."

I thought that this quote was intersting because it informs the reader that imagery is more than a visual picture. As stated within the text, "The narrow sense meaning is a visual description of an object or a scene--an image or picture of it." This is what I usuaally referred imagery to, which was just the basic visual picture that you get when reading. On the other hand, imagery has a broad meaning which includes the quote that I chose. (listed above) It is interesting that imagery can be the basic senses or a deatiled metaphor or simile. This section was very interesting to me because imagery has so many different meanings that I really never thought of. Another reason why I chose this quote is that it lets us understand how imagery plays a large role in a lot of literature or all of it...

This definition definately breaks away from the one I learned in high school, that imagery is just a picture you create in your head. I like this version much better. It also brought about meanings to me that I had never thought of.

I agree. It is interesting that imagery encompasses more than simply what the term suggests. Everything in literature seems to be more than meets the eye, pardon the cliche. It always is amazing.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on February 13, 2007 2:14 PM.

Understanding a theatrical speech! was the previous entry in this blog.

Images from the Bible is the next entry in this blog.