Show me the Technology

There are many different types of techniques and literary elements that are used throughout the short story entitled, “The Machine Stops.” After reading the literary terms, I noticed that showing versus telling was an issue within the story. This connection involves a peer blog entry and a self evaluation of the story. I noticed this association because all throughout the story there are many references to different places in the world. When Bethany stated in her blog, that “Greece was hid behind a metal blind” I thought that Forster was showing us how technology changes everything. It was interesting to me because I noticed how different it is when the author is showing instead of telling and vice a versus a. This may be a small detail, but I find it to be effective in this short story. Overall, I can apply this technique to other stories that I read.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on February 20, 2007 9:46 PM.

Catching the Reader's Attention! was the previous entry in this blog.

Violence and Literature is the next entry in this blog.