Understanding a theatrical speech!

Hamilton, Essential Literary Terms (112-149) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

An aside is a speech, usually brief, that, according to theatrical conventions, is heard only by the audience, or, sometimes, is addressed privately to another character on stage.

As I was reading through the many terms I understood most of them, but this technique was interesting to me. I think that it is interesting that a speech can be delievered to the audience or "just" to another character. The term talks for it self because it is called an aside. As soon as I read the description I thought, oh! it means that someone talks to you while the play is being performed or you are informed of something. I think that this was interesting because an audience or just an individual can hear what is being said.

I should probably read through other peoples blogs before I do mine. I wrote about the same thing!!! I obviously know what you mean when you say that you can look back at Shakespeares work and see the asides more clearly now that you know the termanology!

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on February 11, 2007 6:21 PM.

The "Machine" Helps Run Our Lives!? was the previous entry in this blog.

Imagery means more than a visual picture!? is the next entry in this blog.