The Misfit needs HELP!

Desmond, ''Flannery O'Connor's Misfit and the Mystery of Evil.'' -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"For O'Connor, such a power is divine grace, made available through Christ's death and resurrection. The Misfit acknowledges this, yet refuses to submit his will to God's. "I don't want no hep." he tells the Gradmother. "I'm doing all right by myself."

I really liked this quote because it expresses how the Misfit feels. It seems as though he obviously has guilt for what he has done and also wont admit that he needs "help." This is important because O'Connor expresses that divine grace is made through God's death and resurrection. For it seems that the Misfit does not want anyone or anything to help him, for he states that "he is all right by himself." It is also interesting that he doesn't say the word "help," for he says "hep."

Every letter printed on the page is important. I agree that the "hep" has more to do with dialect than it does with the Misfit's unwillingness to reach out for human affection. However, it is also an important note that the Misfit doesn't ask for help; the context says it, but he doesn't. It puts me in mind of intentially mumbling so that someone else will repeat what you say, thus taking away the need to say it yourself.

I agree that the "l" is missing in "help" because he doesn't know how to ask for it. O'Connor uses his dialect to put in hints and clues about what is really going on.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on March 27, 2007 8:41 PM.

Interesting Story! was the previous entry in this blog.

Reflection Paper! is the next entry in this blog.