Why Commas!!

Truss, Eats, Shoots and Leaves -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"Commas that come in pairs"

This is where comma usage all starts getting tricky. The first rule of bracketing commas is that you use them to mark both ends of a "weak interruption" to a sentence - or a piece of "additional information".

This rule has always been interesting to myself. I think that the comma can be a tricky rule and is used wrong in a lot of cases. The reason why I chose this specific rule is because it uses an example of, "placing an elegant two-pronged fork and cleanly lifting out a section of the sentence, leaving no obvious damage to whole." This is necessary to follow when writing a sentence with this type of comma. Overall, this is an interesting comma rule that seems not to be used a lot in my writing.

Commas, like many other parts of speech, are sometimes more of a style debate than anything. (Did you see how I totally snuck that weak interruption in there? God, I love language.) Anyway, I tend to use the "weak interruption" comma all the time, but there are other people who tend to only put commas where they absolutely have to. With a lot of sentences, the reader can understand what the writer is trying to say without confusion without commas. This, for many editors, is good enough reason to take them out. And, usually, if the comma can't be removed without confusion, then the sentence can be reworded so it isn't needed. An example might be; "The car, which was red, wrecked," vs. "The red car wrecked." ...Okay, that was a bad example, but you get my point. And, if you didn't, grammar is often more about style than technicality. There, my point in less than ten words.

I like the examples that you used. I just have some difficulty using certain styles of grammar or punctation sometimes. I think this helped me understand it somewhat better. I remember in my Basic Composition class, when the professor said about writing style and how important it is. I agree that it is more about style than anything else.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on March 20, 2007 5:53 PM.

Do you Punctuate Text Messages!? was the previous entry in this blog.

Words Change over Time! is the next entry in this blog.