Words Change over Time!

Truss, Eats, Shoots and Leaves -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"When you consider that fifty years ago it was correct to hyphenate Oxford Street as "Oxford-street", or "tomorrow" as "to-morrow", you can't help feeling that prayer for eventual light-in-our-darkness may be the only sane course of action."

I thought that this was interesting to know about our language and about hyphenating words. I never knew that to-morrow was hyphenated many years ago. This is very interesting to myself because as you can tell the language has changed. Another example that was stated in the book was "fine tooth-comb" and "fine-tooth comb." This was very interesting also because both of these statements are correct. There used to be a comb called a tooth-comb and it came in varieties of fineness, which the book stated. As Lynne Truss stated on page 176, "You learn something new every day."

I found the section on hyphens very interesting simply because I still use hyphens and find them very useful when writing. I particularly liked the name example with the hyphens as well.

In this case, I learned something new every time I read this book. There was so much history and useless but useful information in this book. I never knew that I would be able to tell you where the comma originated from. It is also interesting to see how words have changed over time. I think technology plays an important role in how our language is changing today.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on March 22, 2007 8:58 PM.

Why Commas!! was the previous entry in this blog.

Religion and Mr. Shiftlet is the next entry in this blog.