Character Relationships (Newman) - Reflection

After reading Newman’s article I learned that non-players can have more fun than the actual player. This was very interesting while reading because I never thought about this concept, but it is true. Non-players tend to become very excited with a video game while watching because of the relationships they build with the character. After reading Zach and Ashley’s blog entries I noticed a lot of similarities and learned some new facts that I had not thought about before.
Ashley’s blog entry called, “Workbook thesis” talked about humans relating to the characters and how they become involved in the game. She then states a comparison between text-based games and modern games by saying, “Playing with depersonalized characters feels like it is just a representation of yourself or you are acting like the spaceship or box.” This is true because when you can relate to a character then you can understand the game better and even think of better strategies. It is important to compare IF games with modern video games because of the player-character-relationship that is established throughout the game. This is something that I had not thought about before, but is a great way to understand gaming relationships.
Zach’s blog entry called, “The Myth of the Ergodic Videogame” states how an on-looker can play a game without a joystick. This can be especially seen in simulation games because of the detailed cut scenes and movies that are shown. The on-looker and player can encounter a gaming experience that is more exciting than playing the game. For example, when I was growing up I always watched my brother play video games and would become very involved in the game. This experience would not only generate fun and the desire to play, but also an on-looker character relationship. Zach’s blog entry made me realize how an on-looker can exert effort in the video game without even playing.
After reading Ashley and Zach’s blog entries I noticed how important character relationships and on-looker experiences are. The ability to use an “ergodic” video game concept and apply it to different experiences is important because of how many emotions and relationships are formed. After forming my thesis about Newman I compared cut-scenes and graphics to this idea.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on January 14, 2008 10:55 PM.

Blog Portfolio 2 was the previous entry in this blog.

Gender and Class Differences in Video Games (Ex 4: Article Analysis) is the next entry in this blog.