Ex 3: Game Analysis 2

Listed below is my paper for this exercise and I would enjoy hearing comments about the game "Pharaoh."

The Egyptian Years of History
It is amazing to think that humans built the pyramids and buildings in Egypt. The computer video game called “Pharaoh” allows the player to re-enact those mind-boggling days in history. It is designed to let the player create a fun and interactive setting that can grow and develop. This game can be compared to a civilized nation such as present day Egypt.
When first playing the game the player has to develop irrigation systems and food supplies for the town, but everything changes when the population increases. The game starts with a basic town, but once more people begin to come then you must produce more food and water. For example, in order to produce wheat you must have workers plant the seeds, tend to them, and harvest them. This takes a lot of man power to complete and when more people come, then the work labor doubles. The game is difficult to sustain the food and water needs for the people, but it is a great adventure along the way.
This game received an ESRB rating of everyone which is important because any age group can play this game. It may be difficult for a young adolescent to understand the concept, but they can learn a lot of information while playing. This game is a teaching tool that shows the player that it is very difficult to manage an entire town of people and meet their needs. In the likelihood that the player does not meet the needs of the people, it is easier to just start over. This is because buildings will begin to get old and fall apart and the town, if not managed properly, will be too hard to save.
After learning the playing strategy of the game it is important to consider the good and bad. One good concept in the game is maintaining a populations needs, but if not successful then the town will turn downhill. Another important goal in the town is to be able to protect your people against enemies and warships. This is a hard task to complete because if you do not conduct the proper war training, then the warriors attacking will destroy the town. There are many factors to the game, but it is understandable that not everyone will agree with me on what is good and bad.
After learning the strategy, concept, and most importantly having fun the player will experience an entirely different view of a computer video game. “Pharaoh” is used to teach how the Egyptians many years ago maintained the land, people, and buildings without technology. Overall, the good in the game outweighs the bad because every time you play you will improve upon your previous mistakes.

Pharaoh sounds like a great simulation games. I love games where you have to have strategy or get to build things such as cities or managing a lemonade stand. Do you think that Pharaoh would teach kids how the ancient Eygptians lived and worked? I think it would be a very decent educational game. Though I have never played but do they market it in that way? I really do not see any downsides to Pharaoh but I can see some to simulation games. The Sims make people seem like they are dumb. Thats about it, but I love playing them and seeing how much fun it is playing in a world ran by your truly

I have played Pharaoh before and really liked it! I think that it would be able to teach kids about how the ancient Egyptians lived and worked. I think they base the game off of Caesar III. I think that the game is marketed in a learning aspect way. I do agree about how "The Sims" could make people look non-intelligent. Here is the link to the Gamespot review. It lists some information about the game and the ESRB rating of "everyone."
Gamespot Review Website: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/pharaoh/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on January 11, 2008 9:43 AM.

What have you learned? was the previous entry in this blog.

Juul's Emergence and Stylization Concept is the next entry in this blog.