Fatworld - Interesting Game!?

This blog entry is a comment for Dr. Jerz's review of Fatworld.

I first want to say that I agree completely that the gameplay has problems. When I first started playing the game I thought, "It seems so basic and is designed for younger children." Dr. Jerz stated, "the game world is full of floating signs labeled "enter" and I think that this is too basic for a video game (it seems childish or maybe it is just illustrating the point by saying it). The next section in the review was, "Exploring Fatworld on Foot" and I thought the same thing. The character moves very slowly to point that I become frustrated. Did anyone else find it frustrating that your character moved so slowly?

Bogost stated, "Persuasive games mount procedural rhetorics effectively" (Bogost 46). In addition, "procedural rhetoric is the practive of using process persuasively, just as verbal rhetoric is the practice of using oratory persuasively and visual rhetoric is the practive of using images persuasively" (Bogost 28). I think that Fatworld is a persuasive game based on the visual rhetoric aspect only. The game does not seem to have the procedures worked out that great, but the visuals are there and show the player how healthy living is important.
I did not see the "exercising minigame," but found this to be very interesting. Since my character was extremly obese it would have been a benefit to play the exercise game. This would have allowed my character to walk faster and as Dr. Jerz stated, "my character's default speed was much, much faster, making exploration less tedious." This would have made the game much more fun and less frustrating. I also had another issue with the use of the space bar because I kept pressing the enter key. I think this is because I am so used to pressing enter for everything and this was a change to my routine.
Dr. Jerz said, "Why do I need to go shopping at all? Do I have to stock up my refrigerator so that when I shut the game off, my PC will have enough food to live until I return?" This question was very interesting to me also because I found the shopping part to be unrelated. This may be because the game wants the player to understand that you must shop healthly in real life in order to maintain proper health.
Dr. Jerz's last question was particularly interesting and stated, "is this just the game's way of telling me I can go home because I've finished my shift?" I did not understand this part of the game because it simply "throws you out of the restaurant." This is something that is left unanswered because why would it put you on the street just because you walked over the exit sign? The are many hypotheses that relate to why the game does this, but I am undecided on a final answer.
Overall, this game presented many problems for me at first because I like fast moving games without having to wait. As I became used to the game, on a player's level, I thought that the game was being used to teach us to eat healthly and how it takes time to do things. And yes, this does include walking...Hmmm. I feel a similar reaction to the game as Dr. Jerz has because of the interface problems. I thought that the game would have some issues because it is a new release and has no corrections or feedback yet. I believe that if a newer and more user-friendly verison of this game is released then a lot of these problems may be resolved. Maybe. I think that this game would be great for younger children because it is a teaching tool and also would be fun for them to play.

Questions:

Why does the game have a very big hand for the pointer and large screens? Is this because the game is focused more as a teaching tool? Or because it is basic for the user to understand?
Did anyone feel that the game did things randomly? For example, when steping over the exit sign it put the character outside. This was interesting...

These are just a few questions that I would be happy to hear comments about.

Maybe the big hand is supposed to be the hand of a fat person?? That's the only answer I have for that one. The game was just overall disappointing, it did do things randomly and why oh why can't the characters walk on the grass? The game has a great premise, it was just poorly executed.

That's what I thought it was suppose to represent. I am not sure why the character couldn't walk on the grass either. Do you think that the game was similar to "The Sims?" Also, do you think that this game uses procedural rhetoric?

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on January 16, 2008 4:29 PM.

Gender Roles in Video Games - Presubmission Report was the previous entry in this blog.

Turok and Bogost is the next entry in this blog.