Gender and Class Differences in Video Games - Reflection

After completing the article analysis assignment I thought how interesting gender roles in video games are. The article that I read was called, “Mediated Messages: Gender, Class, and Cosmos in Home Video” and it showed what messages video games can relay. After finding the thesis statement of the article I knew that the article would be categorized into several sections. For example, the first section was gender followed by class and so on.
The article uses an experiment including adults and children and the local video game stores. The experiment only included 21 people which I thought was a small amount for finding class differences. Even by saying that the author finds differences among boys and girls with video games. When searching for the opposing view points I was shocked at how the author used cultural studies and personal opinions as part of the experiment. I think that this is a positive addition to the study because it shows current trends and opinions.
The last important difference was between traditional game reviews and New Games Journalism reviews. The article was driven towards being more like a NGJ review more so than a traditional review because of how personal and detailed it was. The article was 17 pages long and is intended for a sit down and read article. Most traditional game reviews are shorter and consist of only a few pages whereas NGJ reviews are lengthy, detailed, and personal.
Overall, this article made me understand that there are gender differences in video games. Not only did I enjoy reading it, but it will most likely be used in my research paper which is called, “Gender roles in video games.” Now that I have completed the article analysis assignment I feel that I am better prepared for starting my research paper.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on January 15, 2008 7:15 PM.

The Video Game - "Fatworld" was the previous entry in this blog.

Procedural Rhetoric and Maintaining Order! is the next entry in this blog.