Simulated and Life Effort - Reflection

Juul’s book called Half-real was a very informative and interesting read. Brandon Gnesda’s blog entry called, “Juul Half-real” poses some very interesting points and questions that I had not thought about before. Brandon uses the concept of simulating actions in real life with video games. I am proud to say that Brandon incorporated my blog entry into his and mentions some interesting questions.
When first reading through his blog entry I thought that the game controller and real life actions were very different. Brandon stated, “For instance, pressing "X" to swing a bat is by no means a true reflection of how difficult it actually is in real life.” This quote is very true because video games offer an “instant reward.” This concept is very different in real life because it takes effort to swing a bat and more than just a push of the “X” button. This can be compared to my quote that said, “video games are infinite as compared to life which presents deadlines.” The player can swing a bat in a video game forever whereas in real life a human can only swing it so many times until they have no effort left.
Brandon presented some good questions and the first was, “Would we enjoy a game where it took months to build a building in SimCity?” My answer would be “No” because video games give the player the chance to experience everything in instant gameplay mode. This then leads into the next question that said, “Would we play games that reflect the difficulties of real life?” I believe that video game players would not play games that provide real-life time scenarios. Take “SimCity” for example and put real-life time into the game. It would take years to build a complete city because everything would offer difficulties like in real life. The last interesting question was “Are games good the way they are, using the general scope of something to highlight the best parts of an activity?” I think that games are great the way they are because people enjoy playing them and love how video games highlight the best parts of an activity with instant satisfaction.
Brandon’s blog entry made me think of questions that are great to consider with video games. The ability to have instant game play opposed to real-life time is a great advancement because of how quick things can be done. After reading this blog entry, I proposed an interesting question that was “it is better to use a controller with an “X button” or use another form of a controller?” This would be a great research study to see whether video game players prefer a specific controller over another. Brandon’s blog entry was very interesting and made me think of questions that I would not have thought of before reading.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on January 15, 2008 2:55 PM.

Gender and Class Differences in Video Games (Ex 4: Article Analysis) was the previous entry in this blog.

The Video Game - "Fatworld" is the next entry in this blog.