Values in Video Games - Reflection

I’m going to start off by saying that Kevin McGinnis’s blog entry entitled, “Laurel Part 1” was an excellent read. He incorporated the J-Web questions into his blog and expanded upon them. He presents the first key concept of a culture worker and how important they are to society. After that he lists the values and morals and describes the father as being “wrong in his accusations.” Lastly, he describes why the values are listed and how they apply to certain doctrines today.
Kevin said, “The idea of a culture worker creating positive influencing forms of popular culture, either through music, games, or movement” was interesting when I first read the book. The key concept that Kevin makes is that the culture worker “actually speaks with people.” This is important in order to get an understanding of the people’s needs. Kevin stated, “Instead of a middle aged male telling the world what kind of toys girls wanted, culture workers speak to girls of all walks of life.” This quote was something I had not thought about because it shows how the culture worker uses people’s ideas instead of assuming they want something.
The next concept of values in video games was interesting to read and also what Kevin said about the father who disagreed with Laurel about her values. Kevin listed the policies for human rights such as “Pacem in Terris” or the “U.N.'s Universal Declaration of Human Rights.” I never knew about these doctrines before reading Kevin’s article and found them very suiting for the topic.
My overall comment for Kevin’s blog entry is amazement. I learned so much while reading it and became so involved that I had to write my reflection paper on it. Kevin uses his personal views and incorporates them with the definitions that Laurel provides us. This is an interesting way to put it, but more importantly he uses names of real policies and experiences to expand upon his argument.

Well, thank you, sir. I appreciate the plug and the compliment.

I cannot help but feel somewhat humbled by the Romanticizing of my entry. I am, however, very glad that someone took my ideas (and Laurel's) at least somewhat seriously.

Of course, does it matter that games attempt to evangelize or enforce values? What does it change? Are games just an easy scapegoat for people looking for something to blame?

I think that it is important to understand that some games evangelize and enforce values. Some games teach friendship and some show how difficult an FBI agent's job can be. When you say "Are games just an easy scapegoat for people looking for something to blame?" I thought this could be true. You always see on the news how video games have influenced a person to commit violence or how dangerous they are. This seems that some people just want to be able to blame a game for people's actions. This topic, of course, is debateable, but is interesting to think about. Good questions for a discussion!

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on January 10, 2008 10:16 AM.

How do I get out? - Reflection was the previous entry in this blog.

The Role of Women in Video Games is the next entry in this blog.