WOW!! Colossal Cave and Games!

Quote: “Adventure” involves reading prose descriptions of the setting, and typing brief commands (i.e. “light lamp”) in order to solve puzzles and collect treasure."

After reading Dr. Jerz's, "Somewhere Nearby Is Colossal Cave" I learned a lot of information not only about the game, but about the real cave. It is very interesting to learn how the video game got the information and details. The source code is very interesting also because it follows the annotated game that we played. I really liked the pictures because it showed how the game evovled. From the forest, to the key, to the gate, to the river and etc. *One particular picture that I found to be amazing were the frozen walls of Orange Stone.
I have a couple questions: Were the other people in the pictures family of your's Dr. Jerz? Was it difficult to compare the parts of the game with the actual cave?
Under the section entitled, Cultural and Commerical Impact I found this sentence fimiliar. "Other entrepreneurs inspired by “Adventure” included Scott Adams (founder of Adventure International), who published the lean but accessible “Adventureland” in 1978." After listening to the Storytelling in Video Games Conference I recongnized Scott Adams name. It is very interesting that he invented the first commerical computer game sold and the game was based on the real cave.
I found the pictures to be very intruging because of how they matched up with what you would type in the game. For example, in the game you would type "take keys" and then in one of the pictures Dr. Jerz is holding the keys.
I really enjoyed reading the article and thought the pictures were great. It was so interesting that this cave was part of the game. It looks like it would have been a wonderful trip!

I got along with those cavers very well, and I had been exchanging e-mails with some of them for probably several years, picking their brains about anything they remembered about Will Crowther, or stories they had about Colossal Cave.

Fortunately our expedition leader knew the game well, so he was able to tell me what room we were in. Afterwards, I looked at the time stamps on all the photos and based on the parts of the game that were obvious (like the entrance to the maze of twisty little passages, the rock with Y2 on it, or that stunning "Window on Pit,") it wasn't too hard to piece things together. I didn't get good photographs of every single room, because I wasn't being methodical about photographing every room from every possible angle. I had never caved before (outside of being in a safe, clean tourist cave), so it was all a bit overwhelming.

Lots of fun, though... I'm glad you found the overview of the code interesting, too -- I tried not to geek out too much, but I did want to emphasize how important the code was.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on January 6, 2008 8:30 PM.

Games, Art, and Fun - Reflection was the previous entry in this blog.

Beginnings of Video Games - Reflection is the next entry in this blog.