Blog Portfolio 1

Each week, I have written an agenda, posted earlier than required, for each story, essay, or poem. My first intellectual blog was called The Human Struggle between Earth and the after Life. This entry involves Keats’ “Ode on a Grecian Urn” and questions whether the urn represents eternity and if it is similar to an artist’s portrait. Another reading from Eagleton discussed how people use language and how it is perceived. My in-depth and class interaction was entitled Making an Interview a Success - The Role of Language. In this entry, I related Eagleton’s quote involving language to a book entitled Reading in the New Testament. My peers commented on how interesting my entry and comment was and posted a response a few days later.

As we have progressed through this course, I have encountered many new literary words and have been presented with insightful comments from my peers. From A Paradox of the Unknown, to This Entry is Very Ironic, then to Do you know Alliteration, and finally to the question of Comparing Truth with Language - Which do Poems Express all represented my growth among critical terminology and language.

There were two specific, from many, blog entries that resulted in great discussion, interaction, depth of the material, and were posted in a timely manner. My first entry called Verbal vs. Textual Understanding presented the question of what if a reader only understands the textual meaning and not the verbal meaning. This entry resulted in peer comments consisting of language symbolism, multicultural viewpoints, and public norms. At the same time, I posted English: A Gender Bias Profession or Degree which many students found interesting. The class interaction and my comments spanned a period of one week resulting in depth, discussion, interaction, and coverage.

While studying author’s intent, my blog entry entitled Literature Representing a Controlling Past asked if poetic form represented an author’s intention or their history. My peers presented comments and questions that were deemed important in order to continue the discussion. I continued this topic in another blog entitled History Necessary to Write Literature. This entry was submitted very early and the idea of philosophy and a formalist reading occurred in our discussion.

In addition to more than 50 comments so far this semester, a xenoblog entry occurred in Where’s the Truth and resulted in the discussion of literary colleagues and their understanding of the text. Another entry entitled Alert the Pope consisted of my comment first and then a continued discussion from other classmates about Chaucer and history. After all of our blogging we thought that our Mother was Right Again…You need to get Sleep was an appropriate answer at the time. My comment resulted in three other classmates discussing sleep and comparing it to The Yellow Wallpaper. In Animated Shakespeare, I used a grande comment and related it to my blog which resulted in a lengthy discussion. A Tempting Repetition represented the comment primo which allowed my first comment to result in four other opinions. My initial comment on Avoiding the Norm made Bethany Merryman offer a polite disagreement.

In addition to consistent blogging, interaction, depth, and discussion, I initiated a blog carnival about James Joyce's "The Dead." This carnival has resulted in a great discussion between the group members. It has also already attracted an outside reader that offers a question to Greta. As a group, we decided to create blog entries that were specific to booths that may or may not be seen at a carnival. My lengthy comments and discussion has included The Horror House, The House of Mirrors, The House of Shoes (mine), The Illusionist, and The Dead. I, also, have presented questions about Ireland's history and how they are trying to achieve their personal/national identity. Lastly, I have learned a lot of knowledge about how Ireland and James Joyce are both struggling between their culture and the events that have occurred. So, Come One, Come All to Our Carnival of "The Dead," but beware because this carnival may make you think about every event in your life - what is true?

As a blogger of criticism, I feel that I have grown within the literary criticism field and have a much better grasp of how to critcize a work based on a specific critical view. As I read the assigned essays, I notated questions and presented my classmates with my initial viewpoint and asked them, as always, a question or two based on the topic. In A Reader Must Stay on Course, Angela and I bounced ideas, back and forth, about an ideal and implied reader. This discussion allowed me to understand why an author uses specific words or scenes in a work to potentially "distract a reader."

My wildcard entry (which shows my greatest potential) entitled Male vs. Female - Who is better... consisted of outside information and peer comments that supported my initial stance on gender bias in The Yellow Wallpaper. This entry, along with all of my other ones, was posted early, offered questions, gave an in-depth look at the topic, and resulted in a discussion with links.

I really liked your set-up Derek. This is well done. I know you worked really hard on this! This process was exhausting! Get some rest Derek!

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on February 18, 2009 4:27 PM.

Words vs. Criticism was the previous entry in this blog.

Blog Carnival - Cover Blog Entry is the next entry in this blog.