...But The Second Mouse Gets the Chesse

"So any psychology, indeed, any systematic view of human behavior, can provide the basis for a mimetic criticism of literature" (Keesey 210).

Now compare this quote with reader-response and what do you get?

This quote tied this introduction essay together for me. I understand that mimetic criticism is a form of psychology, human actions, and reality. If these are the base for mimtic criticism, then how should we build our wall - which do we start with?

Everyday we are living in reality and use psychology whether to read something or understand someone.

Example: If I am watching a play and I focus on the main character the entire time, then I will be watching their actions and motives using my psychology and will begin mimetic criticism. But in this example, where do we draw the line between reality and imagination?

In other words, if we are reading a poem and we begin to picture the scenes in our minds, then are we beginning mimetic criticism or just responding to the text?

As we watch the mouse ponder whether or not to eat the chesse then through our psychology and the mouse's actions we begin to understand that reality and mimetic criticism are similar.

Click here for the course webpage to Keesey.

You can have the cheese because I wouldn't want dead-mouse-cheese. lol. I think that picturing things in your mind crosses over into reader-response and author intent. If you are reading a text, however, and find yourself thinking like a character, I think that would be mimetic. All these run together!

I know what you are saying, but most of us don't know the terms and the facts that will get us to a proper psychological reading. I thought this was the most difficult paper because I had to try and figure out what the psychological terms were.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on February 25, 2009 7:07 PM.

Beneito Cereno and the Ideal Reader and Character was the previous entry in this blog.

Why do women fall short in literature, just why? is the next entry in this blog.