Do you know Alliteration?

"Alliteration, is the repetition of sounds in nearby words or stressed syllables, is frequent in both poetry and prose" (Hamilton 217).

McDonald mentioned the term "alliteration" and I thought it would be important to explain it again.

An example that Hamilton uses is, "We / Lurk Late. We / Strike straight" (217).

These lines explain how the syllables are stressed to emphasize a particular setting or atmosphere.

An example that I thought of was:

"A rosy row of American beauties."

If anyone has another suggestions please feel free to provide them on this blog.

Click here for the web page devoted to Hamilton.

So, Derek, you definately chose my favorite literary device. I love alliteration because it is fun to say, fun to listen to, and a lot of times carries a greater meaning.

How about this one: Classy Christine curtsied to Captain Carl.

That is a great example!

I agree with Angela that alliteration is an admirable device (note the alliteration). In other words, it’s my favorite too. Anytime I read a text it’s one of the first things I look for. Furthermore, I love making alliterative titles; I think they are more memorable and catchy.

I love alliteration too and I think I talked about it in my blog last week. It's always a useful literary device!

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on February 14, 2009 4:15 PM.

Language and History (There seems to be a theme occurring) was the previous entry in this blog.

What is the MEANING- You might want to read this is the next entry in this blog.