I bet you don't know what a medical paternalistic physician is?

Well, if you do know then this entry will refresh your memory. I did not use a term from Hamilton because I did not find one in the readings that was in her text, but I found something better.

Now lets put our skills together and decide whether this is author intent, mimetic, or psychological criticism?

"Her husband, a censorious and paternalistic physician, is treating her according to methods by which S. Weir Mitchell, a famous "nerve specialist," treated Gilman herself for a similar problem" (Gilbert and Gubar 262).

Wow, did this give you an Ah, Aw moment?

The term that I want to describe to you is paternalistic physician because I did not know what this type of doctor was.

According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, "Paternalism is the interference of a state or an individual with another person, against their will, and justified by a claim that the person interfered with will be better off or protected from harm" (Dworkin 2005).

The narrator, in "The Yellow Wallpaper," is interfered by her husband, John (or Frank - some people will understand the joke), which went against her will, but is justified by being a doctor and knowing what is best for people.

Is Gilman trying to explain her history to the reader, a reality she was faced with, or is she trying to make the reader understand how psychology and the human mind is different, but alike at the same time?

Interesting. I found that that essay had a lot of technical words, but was still not impossible to understand. Thank you for the definition. Oh...and that joke was funny. I hope you get your names straight this week. lol

I, too, found this to be very interesting.

Do you think that by John being a medical paternalistic doctor makes the story different now? Or does it support your intentional opinion and understanding?

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on February 28, 2009 3:54 PM.

Why do women fall short in literature, just why? was the previous entry in this blog.

de propia voluntad es el unico forma! is the next entry in this blog.