Language and History (There seems to be a theme occurring)

Antonio - "Thus, sir: / Although this lord of weak remembrance, this, / Who shall be of as little memory / When he is earth'd, hath here almost persuade,-- / For he's a spirit of persuasion, only / Professes to persuade,--the king his son's alive, / 'Tis as impossible that he's undrown'd / And he that sleeps here swims" (The Tempest).

What a great quote!

This reminded me of the essays that were assigned for the week about historical context and criticism. I thought that this quote was referring to how the Lord of the time persuaded the people of his land. Do you think so?

The ending is important to the story, as a whole, because it references the King's son swimming and the shipwreck at the beginning. Antonio may want to remove the King's son from the story because he will be in control next (Once the King passes, his son will take control).

I also wanted to mention that the language that the characters use is very important. How come we don't write this in-depth anymore? The great Shakespeare writes with such detail that the reader may question his intent. I think that he is trying to refer to the history of his time. This can be seen through the language that he uses in the quote above.

Click here for the web page devoted to Shakespeare

Interesting blog, Derek. I'm not so sure to answer your question. Because I couldn't stand working anymore, I just watched The Lion King. I see a parallel to what you're saying about the son being the next king. By the way, when I'm a teacher, I'm going to use The Lion King during my Literary Terms unit. There are so many puns you could easily lose count and the imagery and symbolism is amazing! We even get self-reflection and baptism. What a great movie! I do realize I got terribly off topic but I have a headache and don't want to think anymore!

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on February 7, 2009 3:43 PM.

History Necessary to Write Literature - Do you think? was the previous entry in this blog.

Do you know Alliteration? is the next entry in this blog.