Will the Poem have to Pay Taxes?

"'The status of the poem as an 'object,' as something that exists independently of its creator and independently of any of its readers, is a key concept in formal theory'" (Keesey 77).

Now do you think that my title makes sense?

It is interesting to me how all of these critical essays explain how readers understand words in a text differently, but there is no specific answer until you fully understand that specific work.

When referring to "objective criticism," I analyze that piece of text as a medium or actual object (person). When you begin to think of a work as an object or someone instead of something then you will understand that work with deeper meaning.

If, for example, we simply review a text because we have to and only think that it is a document without any living ability, then we begin to not appreciate it with great meaning.

We should read a text as an object -apart from the author - because it will let us be a formalist who reads the words and not everything around it.

I think that we need to read the words for what they are on paper and not for what they mean in history or to the author.

Click here for the web page devoted to Kesey.

I agree that it is good to look at the work apart from the author. I know that there is no definite wrong or right meaning to a work, but I think that after you get a meaning from a work, then the history or author should be researched to make sure that you are not completely off with the meaning.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on February 14, 2009 7:02 PM.

A Formalist Approach or a Reader-Response? was the previous entry in this blog.

Words vs. Criticism is the next entry in this blog.