A Sense of Great Potential - Derek Nikitas

At the beginning of Derek's presentation he mentioned that "limitations push you beyond your expectations" which was compared to "laser beam eyes." I thought that this statement had a lot of power because it showed us, literature and creative writing majors, how important it is to strive for the best that you can do.

I quickly thought of Literary Criticism and the casebook papers that we are required to compose each week. These exercises are not designed to be frustrating experiences, but they are used to focus our knowledge, referencing limitations, in order to push us beyond our expectations for the topic or course. We must use the limitations as a basis for developing focus, clarity, and purpose.

After Derek presented the Vincent van Gogh painting entitled Starry Night, I heard Dr. Patterson say that "the painting has stillness and movement at the same time." This was an interesting statement because it holds true to the visual learner, but offers a kinesthetic approach by having tangible objects within the picture. We can take the tree, for example, as having movement and mass at the same time.

Furthermore, Derek was asked how he conducts classes and if he requires or requests in class writing assignments. I was shocked and happy to hear that "he likes brainstorming instead of in-class writing." This is something that requires a person to write on the spot without any prior knowledge. This may be a good idea if we are looking for random or unknown ideas, but in order to develop a "good," meaning writing with evidence, piece of writing, then we must take time in our comfort zone and develop a paper.

In addition to Derek's many interesting ideas, I liked that he used The Coasts of Chicago as a focus point when referencing one of the photographs. I found Derek using literary criticism within his presentation when he presented us, the class, with Hans Gindlesberger's Various Stages. I thought, "Wow! This is author intent in reality with evidence." Derek knew Hans and why he took this picture/painting, but it shows us, critical readers, how important it is to understand the author as much as we can.

Finally, Derek said he wanted us to do some homework which I thought represented how a class would be conducted. He asked that we use two medias, as different as possible, and write about them using similarities, differences, technique, and style. This type of assignment may be non-challenging, to the artistic major, but it reminded me of an interdisciplinary teaching approach that I think is important to have whether teaching children or adults.

Overall, the presentation seemed to be a success that was supported with a lot of evidence and learned knowledge. I also thought that Derek was speaking to a student level instead of trying to impress or show his advanced skills. Without further ado, I would say that it was a job well done!

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on March 23, 2009 11:03 AM.

"Erotic Frissons" with no comment! was the previous entry in this blog.

Don't Linger on the Past, but on the Future is the next entry in this blog.