One, Two, Buckle My Shoe...

Frye stated "It seemed to me obvious that, after accepting the poetic form of a poem as its primary basis of meaning, the next step was to look for its context within literature itself" (283).

Did you like my title? Well, if you didn't then its okay, but I used it for a reason.

As I was reading the essay by Frye, I began to think that he does not like traditional criticism. It seems to be systematic rather than words without trust.

If we base criticism off of "myths" or untrue statements, then we may be able to develop a new insight into a piece of literature because we are not studying a true statement or fact, but something that allows everyone to contribute.

I am, by no means, an expert of literary criticism, but I can say that certain critical views are easier to use than others. I think that psychological criticism is harder to use than historical criticism, but, then again, you may think the opposite.

So, if Frye does not "approve of" traditional criticism, then how can he say one is better than another? How can anyone say that one type of criticism is better than another when all of them contribute to an overall view of a work.

If historical criticism is based off of history and formalism is based off of words, then how do we know that "archetypal criticism" is not based off of history since history has given way to the study of psychology and society? This has also resulted in the composing and studying of literature.

Frye was right when he said "The Critical Path."

Derek, I think that Frye opposed traditional criticism simply because it did not remain appropriately focused on literature. Unless I misunderstood his article, it’s not that he thinks that the other schools of criticism are useless (in fact, I think intertextualism uses many of these such as historicism and formalism), he just thinks that a work of literature needs to be considered as it relates to other literature. After all, when we do a psychological analysis of a story, isn’t this getting farther and farther from literature, and closer and closer to psychology. Frye wanted literary criticism to truly be focused on the literary and not other areas of study.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on March 11, 2009 7:32 PM.

Real Life vs. Eternal World was the previous entry in this blog.

Stereotypes about Women, but not Men? is the next entry in this blog.