Blog Portfolio 3 - Personal Growth and Learned Criticism

This blog portfolio will cover a variety of topics and projects that will bring the literary criticism class to its completion. As always, my blogs have been submitted in a timely manner along with comments to my peers. We have covered many critical topics, but language and cultural criticism are the final two topics that we learned. Before I dive into these two topics, I want to present you with a casebook paper, a weekly assignment, that I posted on my blog for the community to see. This paper was entitled Post-Structuralism: Transforming History through Meaning in which I discussed how post-structuralism has many theories, but does not give a clear definition. My peers and I found Dr. Mary Klages and her discussion about the "self" to be very pertient to learning post-structuralism. As a result of this essay, I was able to use Derrida's concept of deconstruction in order to explain the methods or ideas that are associated with post-structuralism.

Another area of criticism that we covered was the topic of language and its universal role in literature. A very impressive and informative essay by Feldstein allowed me to write a blog that was called a story containing every critical view. Since my term paper will analyze and criticize The Yellow Wallpaper, I asked my peers if they thought that the text gives the reader what they want from it? A lengthy discussion arised and the result was that the text has multiple meanings, but the reader, along with supporting evidence, can defend a personal opinion of the text. One one hand I thought the power of words - a fishy situation, but then I questioned how do you see art. These blogs discuss abstracts in structure and how a reader can define the urn in reference to catching a fish.

Similarly, the topic of cultural criticism presents issues of symbolism, a close-reading of the word literature, history, and finally politics. The influence of culture makes a critic and reader question how literature is influence, greatly, by society and their meanings of words and text. Why does history always have an influence in a literary work? Is it habit that was formed from the past or is it because we can not write literature without referrring to societal norms and structure? On a similar note, I ask my traditional Seton Hill audience why are there so many * * * * * * * in The Yellow Wallpaper. This entry discusses madness and writing vs. publisher and reality.

In addition to every blog being posted on time, creating discussion, and contributing to active learning, I want to discuss a term project that conducts a psychoanalysis criticism on The Dark Knight. This website created by Angela and myself analyses Batman, the Joker, and Harvey Dent in reference to psychological terms, academic articles, and scholarly sources. First, Batman is seen as a Christ complex because of his dual identity between Bruce Wayne and Batman. Next, the Joker is seen as having an oedipus complex because of his past history with scars and negative effects upon the community of Gotham. Lastly, Harvey Dent is accociated with the pygmalion effect because of his knowledge of how the future will conclude. As a result of this project, we, Angela and I, have learned that The Dark Knight is not simply a movie that attracts viewers all over the world for excitement and fun, but a movie that contains characters that present psychological issues in relation to providing safety to Gotham and its inhabitants. Please feel free to browse around our newly created website and if you have not seen the movie before, then here is The Dark Knight trailer that will lure you into the city of Gotham and our critical views of the movie.

Moreover, when looking back on what Angela and I did for our term project, we feel a lot of satisfaction and success. Our term progress summary discusses what we did after proposing our idea of analyzing Batman, the Joker, and Harvey Dent. When we created our website, these characters had a specific page devoted to their attributes and importance in relation to psychological criticism. Overall, this in class presentation was excellent and our movie re-enactment went according to plan. The classmates felt excited, surprised, and motivated to see our ideas and presentation. This class and term project presentation will be a memorable experience that I will not forget.

I also want to briefly discuss my reflections and comments to two other term projects. The first term project that I found very interesting is being conducted by Katie and Greta. There project involves the process that a secondary public school teacher goes through in order to teach a lesson. There lesson plan was geared towards 10th grade students and literary theory. The cooperating teacher gave excellent remarks and comments to both of them which should be considered as a job well done. Both members mentioned that they are going to present us, classmates, with posters that the 10th grade students created while they were teaching their lesson. These examples will be a great addition to our literary criticism classroom because it will show us how literary theory does not only have one answer, but many. My assumption is that the posters will be very different, but they will represent how a classroom of learners came together to summarize how literary theory is important in society. When the students were given exit-slips then they were able to express their ideas towards the material and lesson. The students did not write any questions, but they seemed to be happy with the material that was presented. This type of reaction should be taken very seriously because it means that the lesson was taught well and the people teaching it, Greta and Katie, did a great job! We can give thanks to Dr. Jerz for helping us learn literary criticism and how it is beneficial when studying literature.

Another term project that I provied feedback to was Ellen and Bethany's which is going to use an intertextual approach towards fables and tales such as The Three Little Pigs. While I was reading their proposal and update, I logged onto EBSCO through Seton Hill University's library (Reeve's) and found an article called "The True Story of The Three Little Pigs (Book)." My comment caused Greta to respond and say that she had the book as a child and is familiar with it. I think that it is important to analyze children's literature because it gives us a new viewpoint upon a subject that many people only seem to read for fun instead of in a critical mindset. Overall, I am excited for this project also because it is going to let us understand how society changes over time and how important it is to study why the change occurred and what caused it.

Continually, the last literary criticism class consisted of my presentation and the remaining classmates. The grand finale of presentations discusses each presentation of the last night of class and what there purpose was. Overall, each student did a great job at conveying the information and letting us know what a specific in-depth study resulted in. I want to send a "Great Job" congratulations to everyone for making the class a great learning environment! Thank you class and Dr. Jerz for making it a memorable experience!

In addition to the term projects and class information, I composed a cover entry that is A Reflection of Literary Criticism at SHU and shows just how much I learned during this course. I find my the teaching techniques and styles of Dr. Jerz to be extremely helpful in my learning because each class is different and involves a different format. This type of instruction is not only helpful to classmates, but it shows us, students, how when a class includes multiple forms of media, literature, and knowledge, then we are able to use our own knowledge to create an engaging in-class learning environment. Overall, I have learned a great amount of knowledge within the literary criticism field and plan to incorporate this knowledge into my remaining courses at SHU and my future career of teaching.

As a result of learning criticism in the classroom by Dr. Jerz, we, students, each week, gave several presentations that involved essays from Keesey's textbook. The Student Presentations = Success were excellent and taught me a lot of information about how literary criticism can be used in many real life situations. Finally, the presentations not only taught the class critical information, but it gave each member experience in an educational classroom.

Finally, I want to discuss, briefly, my intentions and purpose of my term paper. My paper will involve The Yellow Wallpaper and issues of fear and a two-sided reality. This will be combined with psychological and post-structural criticism in relation to the narrator's husband, John. I want to convey, in my paper, how John's control and masculinity not only as a husband, but as a doctor has contributed, greatly, to why the narrator's sickness becomes worse and she begins to see things within the wallpaper. In addition, I will discuss how the narrator's life, from child to adult, has contained issues of a sickness because of how she always studied the wall and its paper.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on April 17, 2009 6:22 PM.

Comparing texts for the purpose of criticizing them was the previous entry in this blog.

A Reflection of Literary Criticism at SHU is the next entry in this blog.