History is like a germ that infects everything

"The poem, then, is written not in a historical vacuum, but in the face of a national act of appropriation that seemed to promise England benefits not only spiritual but also material, and in the context of a political debate of which Keats was fully aware" (Garson 455).

This quote is packed solid with information about the poem.

Just as we deconstructed this poem in class, I think there is some reference to history, but especially to politics. Lets take a look at the fourth stanza which states "Or mountain-built with peaceful citadel" (487). This line seems to be in reference to Mount Rushmore because society built this mountain into a symbolic presidential statue which brings peace to a lot of people. Would you agree?

Since I have not had the privileged to research the history of Keats's poem, I do not know if England was important to Keats.

I seem to be struggling in respect to the spiritual aspect of the poem. Where do you see it? After reading the poem again, I seem to see it in the line that states "What men or gods are these? Is that a reference to the kings and rulers in England who control large populations?

Click here for the web page devoted to Garson.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on April 17, 2009 2:44 PM.

How do we teach literature was the previous entry in this blog.

Why are there so many * * * * * * * is the next entry in this blog.