The Children Are All Linked Together

"The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (2008) The original books by C.S. Lewis are charming in that wry British way. Some of that charm was preserved in the cinematic version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but it was lost near the end of that movie amidst emphasized battle heroics" (Hart).

After reading Underwire Taking the Pulse of Pop Culture Where the Botched Children’s Book Adaptations Are, I thought how important links are in articles because the reader can immediately go to the related information. Do you get upset when you are reading something and there is a reference that you don't know or can't remember?

Well, I think that links are an instant example of receiving feedback about topics, movies, books, or just about anything. An example from this particular article included "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (2008) The original books by C.S. Lewis are charming in that wry British way. Some of that charm was preserved in the cinematic version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but it was lost near the end of that movie amidst emphasized battle heroics.

The example above shows you exactly what I mean because the links are already in place by the author and the reader can simply read-click-learn!

Question:

Do you like web links in articles and are they necessary when talking about movies and literature?

Click here for the web page devoted to Wired.

To answer your question, YES!!! I love links. When reading an article I like to take at least a quick glance at the links because they better show me what the writer is trying to say. It's like another form of communication. When I write my blogs I love to link to things because I believe it gives you that little extra something. It's fun traversing the web through links and it shows you things that you may be interested in but might have missed.

Derek, I don’t get mad when people refer to things I’m not familiar with. If I really care what it is, I can just go to a search engine and search for it. I do like it when writers include links though. It saves time for the reader. You don’t have to open a new window/tab and search, as you say, you can just, “read-click-learn.” I see including links about things other people may not be familiar with to be a courtesy to the reader. I wouldn’t say they are necessary, but they are always helpful and it’s nice of the writer to include them.

This page contains a single entry by Derek Tickle published on November 15, 2009 6:16 PM.

Reflection #14: An Interactive News Article was the previous entry in this blog.

A Current Event With An Educational Twist is the next entry in this blog.