Taking the blame

I think although both A Theory of Fun by Ralph Koster and The Player's Realm by Williams and Smith are two books that are written very differently, I think they both get down to the same issues and topics concerning videogames. After reading the introductions to both books, I feel like Williams and Smith take a more in-depth and also formal approach to the topics discussed, whereas Koster seems to take on a laid-back approach. Even in the beginnings of each book,  these differences are apparent. Williams and Smith jumps right into analyzing and giving examples to prove their points. Koster eases into his text a little more smoothly, first giving us a few reasons why he wrote the book in the first place. I think that both will be useful in their respective ways.

Because of the way each of these texts is written, I have had to go back and reread many parts to make sure I am understanding and following each theory. A lot of gaming language is used too, which I will have to look up in order to correctly interpret the text.

As a couple of other people have said, I am a little bit tired of hearing about the violence in videogames. It seems to be the never-ending debate in society today, and I personally don't believe that violence in these games does much of anything. In some cases it might fuel a child or teen's decision to act out violently, but I think based on family situations and already developed traits, these children would have acted out violently at some point with or without videogames. I certainly don't think that videogames have more of an effect on young people than the internet or television. Why do videogames take all of the blame for what we as a society in general cause?

EL 250