« Never Say Never | Main | I would rather be a crab... »

Sympathy for the Devil

I tell you, it's queer, Mrs. Peters. We live close together and we live far apart. We all go through the same things--it's all just a different kind of the same thing.
Glaspell, ''Trifles'' -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

I absolutely love this passage! Mrs. Hale's words, "It's all just a different kind of the same thing," is truly a paradox. In her case, a different kind of the same thing involves a wife who murders her husband. The fact that Mrs. Hale is not only able to sympathize with a murderer, but is also able to empathize with her is beyond me. Nevertheless, Mrs. Hale is able to connect to Mrs. Wright based off of the simple fact that they are both women. This female connection is evident throughout the play and establishes the foundation for the underlying feminist tone of the play.

That is interesting. I never thought about it that way, but it definitely does make sense. Mrs. Hale does seem to be constantly justifying Mrs. Wrights actions throughout the whole entire thing. Despite the fact that the murder was wrong, Mrs. Hale doesn't seem to care about that...only about Mrs. Wrights safety.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on January 28, 2007 7:34 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Never Say Never.

The next post in this blog is I would rather be a crab....