« Free verse poetry: An artistic visual | Main | An Unlikely Angel »

An unsettling reality

Truss, Eats, Shoots and Leaves -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

The fact that these people are sometimes editors of national newspapers and Oxford intellectuals is just an indication of how low our society's intellectual aspirations have sunk.

Also Matt put a flyer for recertification, I would how much he would charge for the group. Did the board pay for it before or did the guard each pay for it? Maybe we could schedule it for May. I think John might get it with his WSI calls and Katie is taking a first aid so she probably won't need it either. Could you get there input on group recertification too?

The above paragraph is an excerpt from an email sent to me from one of my summer bosses. The first sentence contains a punctuation error (the use of a comma instead of a period) as it is now. Furthermore, several sentences within the excerpt lack words or use incorrect ones. I feel like this is a perfect example of what Truss was talking about when she calls out "editors of national newspapers and Oxford intellectuals" for their incorrect grammar. The fact that many people in authoritative and influential postitions use severly incorrect grammar is unnerving for me as an English major. I guess I really am a "stickler" at heart.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on March 19, 2007 12:20 AM.

The previous post in this blog was Free verse poetry: An artistic visual.

The next post in this blog is An Unlikely Angel.