« The Sonnet: Like Willy Wonka's Everlasting Gobstoppers | Main | It really does. »

Oh, the humble little comma

…the humble comma can keep the sentence aloft all right, like this, UP, for hour if necessary, UP, like this, UP, sort-of bouncing, and then falling down, and then UP it goes again, assuming you have enough additional things to say, although in the end you may run out of ideas and then you have to roll along the ground with no commas at all until some sort of surface resistance takes over and you run out of steam anyway and then eventually with the help of three dots…you stop.
Truss, Eats, Shoots and Leaves -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

Never, did I ever think that I would actually enjoy a sentence about commas, so long itself that it contained more than eleven commas in entirety. I laughed and learned all the same sentence about something I thought I would neither laugh nor learn any more about. Well, Lynn Truss proved me wrong…and I’m glad she did.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on April 3, 2007 10:46 PM.

The previous post in this blog was The Sonnet: Like Willy Wonka's Everlasting Gobstoppers.

The next post in this blog is It really does..